Friday, May 3, 2013

The Value Of Time

      When I speak of value, most people instantly imagine the dollar.  Money has become the number one driving force in this world and people have gotten to the point where they will kill for it.  While that might be extreme, the idea of money as a value is only part of the equation.  Money is only used to put a tangible trade value on your time, which is the real valued item.  We trade our time for an amount of money that will in turn be used to purchase goods.  As the world spins on its axis, we endure long hours of labor, doing jobs that we do not enjoy for money that will need to be replenished so that we may nourish our bodies and once again return to work.  A never ending circle that I am taking steps to break.  More on that later though, as I have digressed.
         One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to always sacrifice time at work for family, no matter how busy you are or how many other things you have going on in your life.  Family is the support system behind us, it is the reason we work towards our goals, and family can make or break you while you travel the road to reach your dreams. 
     This weekend, I am taking time away from dreaming and planning to spend some much needed time away with my daughter.  I'm not going to go into details but she is the reason that I have made such a major choice in my life and she deserves all the time I can give.  She is worth far more than my time is valued at and I believe that I am getting the better end of the bargain.
     Each week I go to work early and come home late because it is what the Navy requires of me.  I don't enjoy it and it causes way more stress than necessary.  My daughter endures so much because of my work and she deserves so much more in return.  I hope to one day honor my trade agreement and give her the time that she truly needs from a father.  With that being said, take my advice and get as much time as possible in with family.  You might not get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment